Monday, March 9, 2009

Nearly a Losing Hand: Cubs Catcher Perseveres


Koyie Hill looks like any other Major League Baseball player. The veteran Catcher has spent parts of 5 seasons in the Big Leagues, the last two seasons with the Cubs. With the backup Catcher spot on the line this Spring, Hill is looking to earn a full-time spot on the Cubs roster. But Koyie Hill is just thankful that he can still grip a baseball after accidentally cutting off three of his fingers in 2007.

The accident occurred on October 16, 2007 at Hill's home in Kansas. He was making a window frame with a table saw and severed three fingers and his thumb on his throwing hand. Hill was rushed to the hospital, where Doctors re-attached all four digits. "They had me hold a ball in my left hand to see where my ring finger was placed, so when they sewed my finger back on, it was fixed in that position," Hill said in an interview last September, "I guess you could say [my hand] was built for baseball now." Despite being told that he probably would never play again by the Cubs team doctors, Hill was determined to get back on the field. "In the back of my mind, I always knew that if I got the opportunity to play...I just knew I was going to be able to do it," Hill said.

After going through extensive rehab, Hill was back on the field for the AAA Iowa Cubs in time for the 2008 season. "I've been lucky to be able to even play," said Hill, "I never had a doubt I'd play again, but I didn't know what limitations I'd have with my hand and what I'd be allowed to do."
Hill struggled through the cold months of April, saying that he felt like he had "frozen carrotts for fingers." But Hill found his stride as the season progressed, hitting .275 with 17 home runs and 64 RBI for AAA Iowa last season and earning a call up to the Big Leagues in September.

Hill, who turned 30 today, was invited to Cubs spring camp to compete for the backup catcher job with veteran Paul Bako. So far this Spring, Koyie is hitting .357 with two doubles and two RBI's.

Due to the constant pain in his right hand, Hill will more than likely have at least two of his fingers removed when his playing days are over. But he isn't ready to call it a career just yet.

"It's going to hurt sitting on the bench, it's going to hurt hitting," he said, "so I might as well play."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mitch, like your blog so far!

    I hope you'll send in your Cubs questions and comments to the Chat on my site:
    http://cubsblog-cubbiefan07.blogspot.com/

    Thanks, Cubbiefan07

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I like your blog as well. I'll definately continue to check it out.

    Koyie Hill update: Koyie went 2-4 today with a double and an RBI. Boosting his average to .389 this Spring

    ReplyDelete

website hit counter design
Hit counter provided by hit counter website.
Powered By Blogger